An international celebration of sustainability in higher education! The goal of Campus Sustainability Month is to raise the visibility of campus sustainability and provide campus sustainability advocates with a platform to deepen campus engagement around sustainability. In that spirit the Office of Sustainability and the Environment encourages everyone on campus to connect with sustainability on campus, and beyond.
We have compiled a schedule of activities for everyone on campus to explore, including:
- Sept. 30: "Wetland Planting Party," 10:00am-12:00pm, Conservation Education Center
- Sept. 30: "Experience ORISE Virtual Career Fair: Featuring Internships and Fellowships at EPA," 12:00-3.00pm
- Oct. 1: "Tree Talk & Tour at the Sciences Library," 2:00-3:00pm, 3rd floor of the Sciences Library
- Oct. 2: "Iowa River Clean-Up," 7:00am-3:00pm, Sturgis Ferry Park in Iowa City
- Oct. 2: "Wetherby Park Tree Planting" 10:00am, Wetherby Park in Iowa City
- Oct. 4: "Empowering Women in Politics Panel," 7:00pm, Virtual
- Oct. 5: Latinx Heritage Month Speaker: "Update on Latinx Health Issues and Disparities in the United States," 12-1pm, Virtual
- Oct. 7: "Plastic Waste: Impacts and Ideas," 1:00-2:00pm, Virtual
- Oct. 10: "Plogging with Campus Wellness Leaders," 3:00-4:30pm, Entrance to the CRWC
- Oct. 11: "Indigenous People's Day," 11am-2:30pm, Pentacrest
- Oct. 12: "The Biggest Little Farm" Film Screening and Panel Discussion with Field to Family," 7:00pm, IMU Theater
- Oct. 12 - Oct. 14: "Global Conference on Sustainability in Higher Education," Virtual
- Oct. 13: "Fresh Check Day at the UI Annual Mental Health Fair," 10am-4pm, Hubbard Park
- Oct. 27: "Q and A on Responsible Investing" with Amy Brian, 1:30-2:15pm, W401 PBB
- Oct. 27: "Net Impact Discussion with Entrepreneur Garik Himebaugh," 7:00-8:00pm, Virtual
Other Resources and Opportunities
- Consider attending a local farmers market near you: Iowa City Market, University Heights Market, Coralville Market.
- Need food? Consider stopping by the University of Iowa Food Pantry, which is open every week this Fall semester.
- Interested in organic farming, local food, or bridging the urban/rural divide in Iowa? Consider attending the "21st Annual Iowa Organics Conference: Save the Planet through Organics: Managing Climate Change with Organic Practices," on Nov. 28 - Nov. 29 in Iowa Memorial Union. The Office of Sustainability has student scholarships available for students interested in attending. Contact email@example.com for more information.
Are you hosting events on campus? Let us help you promote them! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or assistance.
The Office of Sustainability and the Environment